[ensembl-dev] RNA Edits

Michael Schuster michaels at ebi.ac.uk
Fri Mar 23 09:56:58 GMT 2012

Dear Trevor,

The basis of all sequences in Ensembl is the genome sequence assembly.
Exon sequences are just regions read off the genome sequence,
transcript sequences are concatenations of exon sequences and coding
sequences are characterised by a start and end exon in the transcript,
as well as a start and end position in the respective exon.
Translation sequences are the translation of the coding sequence,
taking the codon table attribute, which is set for the sequence region
into account.

We use sequence edits to modify sequences that we read off the genome
sequence. We can set transcript and translation exceptions, as
transcript and translation attributes, where the sequence of a gene
product does not match the genome sequence. This allows us to model
real biology. As an example, for some human proteins the initiation
methionine is not paired with an ATG codon. In such a case we can
override the start codon to translate into a methionine.

Biological RNA editing occurs after the transcription and again we can
model this by setting transcript exceptions to override regins of the
sequence.

The sequence edits are tied to a particular sequence region.

In the case you are pointing out, we are reusing these rna_edit
attributes for small-scale sequence variations between the reference
assembly and an LRG sequence. Ideally, we would introduce another
attribute type dna_edit for LRG cases, as it is really the genome
sequence and not a transcript that gets modified here.

Best regards,
Michael Schuster