[ensembl-dev] Could not retrieve the sequence of a gene

Andy Yates ayates at ebi.ac.uk
Fri Jan 13 09:47:06 GMT 2012

Hi Jing,

I would urge caution performing this kind of operation. Ensembl stores DNA data on the lowest level of non-redundant sequence and then assembles higher levels of sequence regions, such as chromosomes and supercontigs, from these non-redundant blocks of data. There are enough pitfalls & edge cases involved which can easily trip you up. I would urge you to use the Perl API which is aware of every oddity of how we store our DNA data.

All the best,

Andy

---
Andrew Yates                   Ensembl Core Software Project Leader
EMBL-EBI                       Tel: +44-(0)1223-492538
Wellcome Trust Genome Campus   Fax: +44-(0)1223-494468
Cambridge CB10 1SD, UK         http://www.ensembl.org/