[ensembl-dev] CpG Island

Susan Fairley sf7 at sanger.ac.uk
Wed Jan 11 14:29:09 GMT 2012

Hi Yuan,

The process by which the score is generated is similar to the one
described below although, as Bert mentioned, the minimum length
requirement is 400bp. I believe the score reported is the maximum score
reached for the island.

 From https://lists.soe.ucsc.edu/pipermail/genome/2004-July/005149.html:
"Instead of a sliding-window search for CpG islands, this cpg program
uses a running-sum score where a 'C' followed by a 'G' increases the
score by 17 and anything else decreases the score by 1.  When the
score transitions from positive to 0 (and at the end of the sequence),
the sequence in the current span is evaluated to see if it qualifies
as a CpG island (>200 bp length, >50% GC, >0.6 ratio of observed CpG
to expected)."

I hope that helps.

Regards,
Susan.