[ensembl-dev] Question about registry data

Andy Yates ayates at ebi.ac.uk
Wed Aug 15 14:49:03 BST 2012

Hi Marc,

Just to point something out first you can always use the method load_registry_from_multiple_dbs to load from multiple databases e.g.

Bio::EnsEMBL::Registry->load_registry_from_multiple_dbs(
{
  -HOST => 'ensembldb.ensembl.org', -PORT => 5306, -USER => 'anonymous',
},
{
  -HOST => 'mysql.ebi.ac.uk', -PORT => 4157, -USER => 'anonymous',
}
);

As to answer your question we store a lot of information in the core DB meta tables e.g. aliases are stored under species.alias. However things like the group, version detection & species name detection are done via the Registry & regular expressions performed on the database name (with the exception of multi-species DBs whose species names are stored along side their species id in the meta table).

Best regards,

Andy

Andrew Yates                   Ensembl Core Software Project Leader
EMBL-EBI                       Tel: +44-(0)1223-492538
Wellcome Trust Genome Campus   Fax: +44-(0)1223-494468
Cambridge CB10 1SD, UK         http://www.ensembl.org/