[ensembl-dev] VEP script using Fork

Will McLaren wm2 at ebi.ac.uk
Fri Aug 3 11:06:15 BST 2012

Hi Duarte,

I've tested every fork number up to 30 without it crashing - what is
the error you're seeing when it crashes?

I'd be surprised if you got any significant benefit using any more
than 4, though, since there are overheads associated with creating
each fork.

You can get a feel for the performance by looking at the status output
that gives you the rate, something like:

2012-08-02 15:23:01 - Processed 16037 total variants (750 vars/sec,
927 vars/sec total)

Cheers

Will