[ensembl-dev] Question Regarding Bio::EnsEMBL::Mapper method fastmap.

Andy Yates ayates at ebi.ac.uk
Wed Apr 25 12:04:03 BST 2012

Hi Will,

The code you have pointed out will only be executed if we are projecting between coordinate systems. DnaAlignFeatureAdaptor::_objs_from_sth() requires the mapper be passed into it from BaseAdaptor::generic_fetch(). This does happen in BaseFeatureAdaptor::_slice_fetch() but only when a feature's coordinate system is not the same as the querying slice's coordinate systems. The schema stores patches/haplotypes as assembly exceptions and therefore are held as mappings between the reference chromosome and the exception. We do not store the relationship of say chromosome 21 from NCBI36 to HSCHR21_2_CTG1_1 in GRCh37.p6 (a coordinate system mapping) so there are no multiple mappings.

Hope this helps,

Andy

Andrew Yates                   Ensembl Core Software Project Leader
EMBL-EBI                       Tel: +44-(0)1223-492538
Wellcome Trust Genome Campus   Fax: +44-(0)1223-494468
Cambridge CB10 1SD, UK         http://www.ensembl.org/