[ensembl-dev] How are variations stored?

Laurent Gil lgil at ebi.ac.uk
Mon Apr 23 10:48:54 BST 2012

Hi Dan,

For SNP, indels, ... and variation locations you have to look at the
tables variation and variation_features.
The phenotypes are stored in the phenotype table and linked to the
variations into the variation_annotation table.

You are right for the structural variation tables:
- structural_variation like the variation tables stores the general
information about the structural variations and copy number variations
(CNV probes).
- structural_variation_feature stores the location information about the
structural variations.

The other structural variation tables are "optional": I mean they are
not populated for each structural variation.
- structural_variation_association links the structural variations to
their supporting evidences (stored in structural variation with the
value is_evidence=1).
- structural_variation_annotation links the structural variations to
phenotype and/or sample data.

For the rest of the data types, you can find them by the table names..

I hope this helps.
Cheers,

Laurent