[ensembl-dev] Accessing a. thaliana data with the Compara API

Andy Yates ayates at ebi.ac.uk
Thu Nov 17 18:41:39 GMT 2011

Hi James,

Homology between plants & non-plants is only available from the Ensembl Genomes websites and is provided by their pan-taxonomic compara resource. You can access this by modifying your script like so:

use Bio::EnsEMBL::Registry;

Bio::EnsEMBL::Registry->load_registry_from_multiple_dbs(
  {
    -HOST => 'mysql.ebi.ac.uk',
    -PORT => 4157,
    -USER => 'anonymous',
  },
  {
    -HOST => 'ensembldb.ensembl.org',
    -USER => 'anonymous',
  }
);

my $pan_compara_dba = Bio::EnsEMBL::Registry->get_DBAdaptor('pan_homology', 'compara');

This command loads the databases from Ensembl Genomes' public sql server as well as Ensembl's server. It also allows the registry to resolve species clashes by using a first seen first used policy. Everything else should work as you currently expect it to do so

Hope this helps,

Andy

P.S. The list of species compared is available from http://plants.ensembl.org/info/docs/compara/homology_method.html#species