[ensembl-dev] Takifugu rubripes - Genenames

Ewan Birney birney at ebi.ac.uk
Fri Mar 11 09:25:31 GMT 2011

Just to briefly expand on this;

   It is well known that the bony fish (telosts) went through another
genome duplication (on top of the 2 that happened at the root of the
vertebrate tree), and this means that for many mammalian genes, there
are >1 orthologs (co-orthologs), related by this duplication, in
telosts.

   If we sticked to strict 1-1 orthologs, we'd have ended up with very
few names transfered in telosts.