[ensembl-dev] Local installation

Neil Walker neil.walker at cimr.cam.ac.uk
Wed Mar 2 14:31:33 GMT 2011

Picking up on this late, and slightly off topic:

We took the decision (on 5 Jan 2001!) to use MySQL as our database when
Ensembl's attempt to port their system to Oracle was plainly going nowhere.

Now MySQL is owned by Oracle. The version of MySQL available in Ubuntu's
Canonical release 10.04 (5.1) is falling behind the current Generally
Available release (5.5.9).  It is the latter which Oracle make available
and would prefer to support - and that at a much increased price.

How do you see this playing out?  Are you sticking with MySQL?  And how
supported?

Cheers
Neil

Neil Walker                         email: neil.walker at cimr.cam.ac.uk
JDRF/WT Diabetes and Inflammation   tel: +44 (0)1223 763210
     Laboratory                      fax: +44 (0)1223 762102
Cambridge, UK                       http://www-gene.cimr.cam.ac.uk/todd/