[ensembl-dev] transcript variation effect

Graham Ritchie grsr at ebi.ac.uk
Tue Feb 1 18:57:33 GMT 2011

Hi Duarte,

There isn't a straightforward way to do this in the API at the moment, we may add support for this at some point. The way we do this in the variation consequence pipeline is essentially to splice the variant sequence into the CDS of the transcript and then translate the resulting mutated sequence, but there are a few gotchas along the way! I attach a file which includes a subroutine mutate_transcript which takes this approach and returns the mutated peptide sequence of a transcript, given a Transcript object and a VariationFeature object. There's a little bit of test code around it showing how to call it, so you should be able to run the script - hopefully it makes sense and you can adapt it to your requirements. There isn't a lot of error checking, and I have only briefly tested it so please check the results make sense!

Let me know if you have any questions about it.

Cheers,

Graham

Ensembl variation