[ensembl-dev] a question about nonsense_mediated_decay in Homo_sapiens

Bronwen Aken ba1 at sanger.ac.uk
Tue Apr 19 13:42:07 BST 2011

Hello,

Ensembl release 62 was released last week, and the three transcripts you listed have all been updated.

ENST00000511104 is no longer available in e62. In e61 it was labelled as protein-coding. Its prediction method was "Ensembl genebuild". The Ensembl genebuild does not currently distinguish between protein-coding and NMD transcripts, so all coding transcripts from the Ensembl genebuild are called 'protein_coding'.

ENST00000393966 is protein_coding in e62. Its prediction method is "Ensembl genebuild" meaning that, as for ENST00000511104, its biotype will be protein-coding even if the transcript is NMD by the defintiion.

ENST00000433422 is a processed_transcript in e62. In e61 is was labelled as NMD. The prediction method of this transcript is manual annotation by Havana, meaning that the exon structure and biotype were set by Havana. It looks like the biotype was set incorrectly for this transcript in e61.

Thanks,
Bronwen