[ensembl-dev] relationship between api and database release

LAW Andy andy.law at roslin.ed.ac.uk
Tue Nov 16 19:06:04 GMT 2010

On 16 Nov 2010, at 18:45, Andrea Edwards wrote:

> Is it correct that if I want to use, for example, release 59 of the
> database then I need to use release 59 of the perl API?

That's *my* understanding of it.

> Is there a Java version of the Perl API? Does it have equivalent
> functionality?

Well, we at Roslin have built a proof of concept Java API (rather than a "Java version of the Perl API") which we believe could be developed to handle multiple versions of the database schema (at least we can demonstrate backwards compatibility!!).

 It has "limited" functionality. You can find it at http://jensembl.sf.net/ and we would love to hear from you if you would find this sort of thing useful. We got knocked back the first time that we applied for funding to do this properly but we hope to go back in again sometime in the near future armed with as much support from the community as we can muster.

Later,

Andy
--------
Yada, yada, yada...

The University of Edinburgh is a charitable body, registered in Scotland, with registration number SC005336
Disclaimer: This e-mail and any attachments are confidential and intended solely for the use of the recipient(s) to whom they are addressed. If you have received it in error, please destroy all copies and inform the sender.

Scotland, with registration number SC005336.