[ensembl-dev] relationship between api and database release

Paul Flicek flicek at ebi.ac.uk
Tue Nov 16 20:41:31 GMT 2010

On 16 Nov 2010, at 19:06, LAW Andy wrote:

> On 16 Nov 2010, at 18:45, Andrea Edwards wrote:
>
>> Is it correct that if I want to use, for example, release 59 of the
>> database then I need to use release 59 of the perl API?
>
> That's *my* understanding of it.

Matching the database version and the API version is the way to ensure maximal compatibility and performance (i.e. this is how we do things within Ensembl).

Very often an older version of the API will work with a newer version of the database.  The API issues a warning in this case because some things might not work and we have not tested it.

Paul