[ensembl-dev] download gene structure

Jan-hinnerk Vogel jhv at sanger.ac.uk
Tue Dec 7 10:16:29 GMT 2010

Hi Liu,

one way to do this would be to use the ensembl API - if you're
familiar with perl . We provide supporting features for transcripts
and exons - you can call methods on the Exon and Transcript objects to
retrieve them. This support is added to transcripts / exons
during the 'gene build' process.

Another way to do this would be to cluster the exons of the genes
you're interested in together with the
exons of the support (ie cDNAs) and calculate a score yourself - for
example to calculate how many times an Exon overlaps a cDNA.
The gene data can be found in the core databases and the cDNA data is
usually in the _otherfeature_ (or _cdna_ ) databases.

There are some routines in  some routines in the ensembl-analysis cvs
checkout which you can use for the clustering.
The ClusterUtils.pm exports some methods for this, too.

ensembl-analysis/modules/Bio/EnsEMBL/Analysis/Tools/Algorithms/
ExonCluster.pm
ensembl-analysis/modules/Bio/EnsEMBL/Analysis/Tools/Algorithms/
GeneCluster.pm
ensembl-analysis/modules/Bio/EnsEMBL/Analysis/Tools/Algorithms/
IntronCluster.pm
ensembl-analysis/modules/Bio/EnsEMBL/Analysis/Tools/Algorithms/
TranscriptCluster.pm
ensembl-analysis/modules/Bio/EnsEMBL/Analysis/Tools/Algorithms/
ClusterUtils.pm

Hth,
                 Jan Vogel

--