[ensembl-dev] VEP - protein "domains" results with the REST API and the command line tool

Pedro Almeida pedro.almeida at heartgenetics.com
Thu Jun 23 09:40:13 BST 2022

Hi Likhitha,

many thanks for your prompt reply. I thought I was using the Ensembl
transcripts cache as I wasn't using the `--refseq` command line switch.
Nevertheless, I tried to install the cache again and run VEP, but still
finding the same situation in the domains' output.

To install the new cache + fasta, I did the following:

    $ perl INSTALL.pl --AUTO c --CACHEDIR ../../vep_106 --SPECIES
"homo_sapiens" --ASSEMBLY GRCh38
    WARNING: DBD::mysql module not found. VEP can only run in offline
(--offline) mode without DBD::mysql installed

http://www.ensembl.org/info/docs/tools/vep/script/vep_download.html#requirements
     - getting list of available cache files
     - downloading
ftp://ftp.ensembl.org/pub/release-106/variation/indexed_vep_cache/homo_sapiens_vep_106_GRCh38.tar.gz
     - unpacking homo_sapiens_vep_106_GRCh38.tar.gz
     - converting cache, this may take some time but will allow VEP to look
up variants and frequency data much faster
     - use CTRL-C to cancel if you do not wish to convert this cache now
(you may run convert_cache.pl later)
    2022-06-22 18:11:42 - Processing homo_sapiens
    2022-06-22 18:11:42 - Processing version 106_GRCh38
    2022-06-22 18:11:42 - No unprocessed types remaining, skipping
    2022-06-22 18:11:42 - All done!

    All done

    $ perl INSTALL.pl --AUTO f --CACHEDIR ../../vep_106 --SPECIES
"homo_sapiens" --ASSEMBLY GRCh38
    WARNING: DBD::mysql module not found. VEP can only run in offline
(--offline) mode without DBD::mysql installed

http://www.ensembl.org/info/docs/tools/vep/script/vep_download.html#requirements
     - downloading Homo_sapiens.GRCh38.dna.toplevel.fa.gz

    All done

Then, ran VEP:

    vep --offline --cache --assembly GRCh38 --dir_cache
/opt/bioResources/vep_106 --fasta
/opt/bioResources/vep_106/homo_sapiens/106_GRCh38/Homo_sapiens.GRCh38.dna.toplevel.fa.gz
--input_file T790M.vcf --json --output_file T790M.vep.json
--force_overwrite --domains

Is this the right way to do it? I'm still not getting information of
protein domains for all other databases (including Pfam) besides de
`ENSP_mappings`...

Many thanks,
Pedro