[ensembl-dev] which version of Gene Ontology is used for my query in biomart

James Allen jallen at ebi.ac.uk
Thu Jan 7 09:46:19 GMT 2021

Hello Anton,
The GO version is not available from BioMart - probably the easiest way to get
it (and I appreciate that it's not very easy, and is certainly not obvious...)
is by querying the ontology database on our public SQL server, e.g. on a command
line:

mysql --host ensembldb.ensembl.org --user anonymous ensembl_ontology_102 -e
'SELECT data_version FROM ontology WHERE namespace = "go"'

which gives the result "2020-06-01".

For the GO versions used in past releases, replace the '102' in the database
name with the required version.

Regarding your second question, you can save a BioMart query in XML format, by
clicking the appropriately labelled button in the menu bar along the top of the
BioMart interface. This XML is independent of a release, so applying it to a
future release might give different results - so if that's important, the XML
will need to be cited alongside the appropriate Ensembl archive site, e.g.
http://nov2020.archive.ensembl.org.

An alternative to the XML, for relatively simple queries, is a url, also
generated by using the button in BioMart's menu bar. This generates something
like:
http://www.ensembl.org/biomart/martview/092cdd74b317beea2767dd0d8d3a3524?VIRTUALSCHEMANAME=default&ATTRIBUTES=hsapiens_gene_ensembl.default.feature_page.external_gene_name&FILTERS=hsapiens_gene_ensembl.default.filters.go_parent_term."GO:0050789"&VISIBLEPANEL=resultspanel

The long arbitrary identifier can be removed to make it a bit more readable,
e.g.
http://www.ensembl.org/biomart/martview?VIRTUALSCHEMANAME=default&ATTRIBUTES=hsapiens_gene_ensembl.default.feature_page.external_gene_name&FILTERS=hsapiens_gene_ensembl.default.filters.go_parent_term."GO:0050789"&VISIBLEPANEL=resultspanel

And the url can, of course, be altered at the start to point to a specific
archive site.

Hope that helps, please let us know if you have any further questions,
Cheers,
James
Ensembl Production