[ensembl-dev] Ensembl REST API | GET xrefs/name/:species/:name

Kieron Taylor ktaylor at ebi.ac.uk
Mon Oct 28 10:27:27 GMT 2019

Dear Ramiro,

You make a fair point. No results could be construed as a 404 not found. However, you not requesting a particular resource, you are running a speculative query (at least in terms of how it works). At time of development we thought consistency in returning a list was more valuable than changing the response, i.e. The search was successful, but no results were found.

I believe we as developers tend to lean too heavily onto response codes as a method of expression, as their purpose is fulfilling HTTP protocol rather than a crutch for business logic. We are endeavouring to harmonise our REST-ish behaviour for consistency and principle of least surprise, but you should expect the xrefs endpoints to continue operating as-is for now. Stability of the API is also an important concern.

Regards,

Kieron

Kieron Taylor PhD.
Ensembl Developer