[ensembl-dev] Ensembl 96 and Ensembl Genomes 43 are out!

Carla Cummins carlac at ebi.ac.uk
Wed May 22 11:57:18 BST 2019

Hi Malcolm,

Thank you for your question. I don't believe that there was an
announcement regarding this alignment. Every time some new eligible
species are included in Ensembl, they are automatically added to the
relevant MSA. We consider this "business as usual" and do not tend to
make announcements about it. Apologies.

Regarding your other questions, the 25 fish alignment replaces an MSA
with fewer fish species - previously 23. The current assembly of Mexican
tetra has been a part of Ensembl - and therefore our alignments - since
release 94 (Oct 2018). However, it was previously referred to as 'Cave
fish' rather than 'Mexican tetra', which is probably a little confusing.
Prior to release 94, we had an earlier assembly, which has been present
since late 2013. Below are some links to statistics on these fish
alignments for the previous few releases, to show the progression of
this MSA:

http://www.ensembl.org/info/genome/compara/mlss.html?mlss=1497

http://jan2019.archive.ensembl.org/info/genome/compara/mlss.html?mlss=1371

http://oct2018.archive.ensembl.org/info/genome/compara/mlss.html?mlss=1332

http://jul2018.archive.ensembl.org/info/genome/compara/mlss.html?mlss=1133

I hope this helps,

Carla

---
Dr Carla Cummins
Ensembl Compara Developer
EMBL-EBI, Wellcome Genome Campus
Hinxton, Cambridge
CB10 1SD
United Kingdom

On 21/05/2019 16:26, Cook, Malcolm wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I read at 25 fish EPO
> <https://www.ensembl.org/info/genome/compara/mlss.html?mlss=1497> that
> “This alignment has been generated in Ensembl release 96”
>
> Yet I see no mention of it in Ensembl 96 and Ensembl Genomes 43 are
> out!
> <http://www.ensembl.info/2019/04/09/ensembl-96-and-ensembl-genomes-43-are-out/>
>
> Is this perhaps:
>
>  1. an oversight on your part
>  2. or might the fish alignment be older that this
>  3. or I should expect to find announcements re comparative genomics
>     efforts elsewhere?
>  4. Or am I otherwise misunderstanding how Ensembl is organized.
>
> Also, is there anywhere an announcement for the alignment I might
> share among possibly interested colleagues,  and is there anywhere a
> description of what it is replacing (if anything) (esp: was there a
> prior fish MSA that included Mexican tetra?),
>
> Thanks very much,
>
> ~Malcolm Cook

Carla Cummins, Ph.D.
Ensembl Compara Developer
European Bioinformatics Institute (EMBL-EBI),
European Molecular Biology Laboratory,
Wellcome Trust Genome Campus, Hinxton,
Cambridge, CB10 1SD, United Kingdom
Room A3-145