[ensembl-dev] VEP server blocks https requests

Rokhaya BA rokhaya.ba at univ-nantes.fr
Thu Mar 21 11:02:11 GMT 2019

Hello,

I am a PhD student in bioinformatics within the CRTI in Nantes, France.

I am developing Ferret (http://limousophie35.github.io/Ferret/), a Java
application designed to retrieve annotations  from the VEP REST API
using variants id (rsid). This application submits a https request and
extract the sift/polyphen scores and predictions from the JSON output.

However, VEP server usually shut down my requests after some iterations.
Please see below some examples of errors returned by the app:

/Server returned HTTP response code: 429 for URL:
https://rest.ensembl.org/vep/human/id/rs41282276?content-type=application/json/

/Server returned HTTP response code: 503 for URL:
https://rest.ensembl.org/vep/human/id/rs543148494?content-type=application/json/

In practice, I use threads to speed up my runtime. Then, the application
submits many requests in a short amount of time.

I wanted to know if there is any way to solve this issue?

Thank you very much for your help.

Best regards,

Rokhaya BA

PhD Student in Bioinformatics