[ensembl-dev] can VEP output the distance of the variant to the exon junction?

David Tamborero david.tamborero at gmail.com
Thu Mar 7 17:39:30 GMT 2019

Hi Irina, I have been playing with the plugin (thanks for that again!).

What I am actually interested is in the distance of the variant to the next
exon-exon junction, as defined by the CDS and not by the 'absolute' bps
(including UTR), which is what determines whether the NMD will act (see here
<https://journals.plos.org/plosgenetics/article?id=10.1371/journal.pgen.1002296>),
which is what i want to detect. I was not clear enough on that, apologies.

In any case, what you re retrieving now is actually also interesting for
other evaluations. Maybe you could include what you have now and also the
coding sequence values ? Again, note that I address these calculations by
my own ad hoc scripts, so consider to implement it (together with the
location of the frameshift-induced stop codon mentioned before) just if you
believe that it can be of interest for the community (which i think it
does!)

br