[ensembl-dev] Full text search in REST API

Kieron Taylor ktaylor at ebi.ac.uk
Mon Jul 8 11:49:09 BST 2019

Dear David,

rest.ensembl.org is exclusively a data API, and at this time does not connect to the search engine that the Ensembl website uses. It is not possible to get free text search results from the REST API. If your search for "RA" is an attempt to match a gene symbol (from HGNC perhaps), then you could try working with the cross references endpoints, or symbol lookup endpoint:

https://rest.ensembl.org/documentation/info/xref_external
https://rest.ensembl.org/documentation/info/symbol_lookup

Kieron Taylor PhD.
Ensembl Developer