[ensembl-dev] REST API Help - Service Unavailable from IP

Z. Dickson dicksoz at mcmaster.ca
Fri Apr 5 17:36:31 BST 2019

Hello,

I recently wrote a small client for interacting with Ensembl's REST server,
which made use of the POST lookup endpoint to map gene id's to transcript
and protein id's.
I had believed it followed all the guildlines for request size, and request
rate, however during a run of the script, the server began to
intermittently respond with either "503 -Service Unavailable" or "599 -
Internal Exception - timeout waiting for socket", which could not be
resolved with a sleep-and-retry. Eventually this progressed to the current
state, where this is the only response we receive, It is not even possible
to view the endpoint documentation through a web-browser, seeing only the
503 error.
This only affects the IP of our cluster, which unfortunately includes the
most used machines in our department. Machines with separate IP's can
successfully contact the server.

>From all appearances the IP of our cluster has been banned, but without
error messages which would indicate as much. I am hoping to find out if
this is indeed the case, and more importantly restore access to the REST
server for the cluster.

Please let me know what additional information would be required to help me
(IP, code, etc.).

Thank you in advance,
--
*Zachery Dickson*
Bioinformatics Master's Student

[image: Map icon] location: LSB 522
<https://www.mcmaster.ca/welcome/campusmap.cfm>
[image: McMaster University Brighter World logo]