[ensembl-dev] Accessing sequence information without using the Perl API

Premanand Achuthan prem at ebi.ac.uk
Thu Jan 4 10:10:58 GMT 2018

Hello Felix

You could use the ensembl REST server (http://rest.ensembl.org/)

To retrieve the list of available species and genome builds, use the
info/species endpoint:
http://rest.ensembl.org/info/species?content-type=application/json

To retrieve the sequence information, use the sequence endpoint:

http://rest.ensembl.org/documentation/info/sequence_region_post (Request
multiple types of sequence by a list of regions)

http://rest.ensembl.org/documentation/info/sequence_region (Returns the
genomic sequence of the specified region of the given species)

Please be aware that there is a rate limit (15 requests per second)

More info in User Guide:
https://github.com/Ensembl/ensembl-rest/wiki
https://github.com/Ensembl/ensembl-rest/wiki/Rate-Limits

Hope it helps,