[ensembl-dev] why the frameshift variants are represented with 'X' as the aminoacid change?

David Tamborero david.tamborero at gmail.com
Wed Dec 5 12:06:50 GMT 2018

Hi Andrew,

thanks for the answer!

Indeed I m aware that you use * or Ter for stop codons; I m just a bit
surprised that you use 'X' (some old school people confuses it with the
stop codon, e.g. clinicians) instead of a 'fs' label or similar, which in
my humble opinion is more self-explanatory (but this can be due to my
ignorance of whether 'X' is accepted for that, although --regardless of
possible standards I do not know-- that I m finding several people that
gets confused by that is a fact!)

br