[ensembl-dev] REST service

Wolf Beat Beat.Wolf at hefr.ch
Sun Sep 3 15:47:22 BST 2017

A quick follow up question to my last email, as i'm still trying to figure out how to use the rest interface.

So, maybe for context, all i want is basically the information on the ensembl website that tells me the maf in the general population.

ideally that information would be included in the "overlap" endpoint, as that is how i'm identifying a variant in the first place, but i'm ok with querying a second time.

Anyway, i'm trying to understand when what values are returned by the endpoint, and i can't seem to find a system.

What i now discovered is that for some reason deletions have their maf numbers reported in a strange format:

An example can be found here:

http://grch37.rest.ensembl.org/vep/hsapiens/id/rs58651353?ExAC=1&distance=0&content-type=application/json

So the maf numbers suddenly have a "-:" in front of them. I don't see why.

I also seem to have a lot of insertion which should have maf values associated, which do not have them in the rest interface:

http://grch37.rest.ensembl.org/vep/hsapiens/id/rs142807316?ExAC=1&distance=0&content-type=application/json

Looking at the website you can see that this variant is supposed to have a maf value:

http://grch37.ensembl.org/Homo_sapiens/Variation/Explore?r=5:155770922-155771921;v=rs142807316;vdb=variation;vf=28189222

Currently the rest interface for variants seems buggy and incomplete. That may be the wrong impression, but i could find no clue in the documentation that would explain  the current behaviour.

Thank you for your help!

Beat Wolf