[ensembl-dev] VEP VCF custom annotation for gnomad coverage

William McLaren wm2 at ebi.ac.uk
Tue Jun 27 12:59:46 BST 2017

Hi Nikolas,

Yes, VEP (as of release/88 and the switch to the ensembl-vep repo) now matches VCF entries based on the alleles present, see [1] and [2].

You may disable allele matching by using the “overlap” type instead of “exact”, but this will report entries where any part of the coordinates match between the input and the entry in the VCF (i.e. a SNP will give a match to a long deletion that overlaps it). Perhaps this may not be a concern if excluding data based on coverage is your aim.

Hope that helps

Will McLaren
Ensembl Variation

[1] : http://www.ensembl.org/info/docs/tools/vep/script/vep_custom.html#custom_options