[ensembl-dev] prerequisites for Bio-DB-HTS

Rishi Nag rishi at ebi.ac.uk
Mon Jun 26 17:13:01 BST 2017

Hi Mahmood

The use of cpanm (which should be easier than cpan) may help here.

In addition, one of the reasons why things get installed manually is to
allow for the fact that it is easier to download BioPerl at the version
the Ensembl API is compatible with than install via cpanm, as it usually
is quite a long process and frequently throws up errors.
Bio::Root::Version is  part of BioPerl 1.6 and so I suspect these errors
stem from the BioPerl not being downloaded or the PERL5LIB not being
correct, which is causing the attempt to re-download and install BioPerl
giving the huge number of errors you are experiencing,

Regards

Rishi

On 26/06/2017 11:13, Mahmood Naderan wrote:
> OK. I installed Module::Build and its dependency ExtUtils::CBuilder
> with the yum command!
>
> yum install perl-Module-Build perl-ExtUtils-CBuilder
>
> Still the command 'perl Build.PL' complains about Bio::Root::Version.
> Unfortunately, that is not available on the yum repositories and I
> have to manually install it!
>
> As I run 'cpan Bio::Root::Version', it complains about DBD::SQLite,
> Bio::DB::GFF, LWP::UserAgent and other things...
>
> My serious question is that, why it doesn't download the packages
> automatically? it is a pain then!
>

> Regards,
> Mahmood

Interim Coordinator with Data and Security Working Groups,
Global Alliance for Genomics and Health