[ensembl-dev] Sift scores from VEP

Black-Ziegelbein, Elizabeth A elizabeth-black at uiowa.edu
Wed Feb 1 19:02:15 GMT 2017

Good afternoon -

I recently ran across a variant annotation from VEP that did not provide any SIFT annotation.

1: 103343580 C > A  (GRCh 37 coordinates)

In dbNSFP, and by directly querying the most recent download of the SIFT scores from SIFT (http://sift.bii.a-star.edu.sg/sift4g/public/Homo_sapiens/GRCh37.74.zip) show this SNP as having a SIFT score of 0 – damaging.  It is a missense variant.  I found the documentation about how SIFT and Polyphen scores are computed by VEP – but just wanted to check/verify that this should be expected and not some type of error? I have found more than one instance of this.

Thanks for your thoughts -

Ann