[ensembl-dev] How realistic are the sequences?

Emily Perry emily at ebi.ac.uk
Fri Aug 18 11:57:07 BST 2017

Hi Mahmood

The human genome was produced by the genome reference consortium:
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/grc/human

It was produced by cloning genome segments from a number of individuals
into BACs, sequencing the BACs then arranging the BACs together. The
BACs are now represented in the genome as contigs, and each contig
represents sequence from a single individual. Contigs with the same
two-letter prefix come from the same individual. The GRC may have more
information on the ethnic make-up of the individuals used, but I know
that a lot of the genome comes from a man identified as RP11, who was
African American. The individuals used for the genome were healthy.

Since each sequence is an individual sequence, sometimes a minor, or
even private, allele can be reference allele. The transcript haplotype
page shows you the CDS and protein sequences found in actual 1000
Genomes individuals, listing the frequency of these sequences in
different ethnic groups, eg:
http://www.ensembl.org/Homo_sapiens/Transcript/Haplotypes?db=core;g=ENSG00000072110;r=14:68874143-68979440;t=ENST00000193403

The 1000 Genomes individuals all self-reported as healthy.

All the best

Emily

On 18/08/2017 11:34, Mahmood Naderan wrote:
> Hi,
> Question is how much realistic is the sequences presented as
> "reference" in the Ensembl database? In other words, is the reference
> sequence of a gene relates to a healthy human?! Perhaps no! Are the
> sequences relates to a group of humans? Then which side of the world
> or ethnic?
>
> I appreciate any feedback on this question.
>
> Regards,
> Mahmood

Dr Emily Perry (Pritchard)
Ensembl Outreach Project Leader