[ensembl-dev] [VEP] consequence_term for two AA insertion

Will McLaren wm2 at ebi.ac.uk
Mon Nov 14 09:45:01 GMT 2016

Hi Joao,

The reasons for this are clearer if you look at the Amino_acids and Codons
fields in the VEP output.

For your first input, the bases are inserted between the first and second
bases of a codon, disrupting the original codon. The resulted translated
sequence is then "PQM", which shares no sequence with the original
translated codon ("L"), so inframe_insertion is not correct. Since you're
replacing an "L" with a different sequence, the most specific consequence
type VEP can call is protein_altering_variant.

Amino_acids: L/PQM   Codons: ctg/cCCCAAAtg

In your second input, the bases are inserted *between* a pair of codons, so
the original codons are not disrupted and inframe_insertion is valid.

Amino_acids: -/PK    Codons: -/CCCAAA

In the third input, while you are inserting in the same position as the
first input, the translated sequence still includes the original amino acid
as by chance the inserted sequence restores a codon that translates to that
amino acid:

Amino_acids: L/PL    Codons: ctg/cCCCtg

This also holds true for the fourth input, with the degeneracy of the amino
acid code helping out:

Amino_acids: L/LPK   Codons: ctg/ctCCCAAAg

Hope this helps

Will McLaren
Ensembl Variation