[ensembl-dev] Error messages when using the Variation API

Will McLaren wm2 at ebi.ac.uk
Mon May 23 10:57:07 BST 2016

Hi Johanne,

It looks like the API is intermittently losing connection to the remote VCF
files hosted on our FTP site.

You can bypass this connection by downloading the files to your local
machine:

GRCh38: ftp://ftp.ensembl.org/pub/variation_genotype/homo_sapiens/
GRCh37:
ftp://ftp.ensembl.org/pub/grch37/release-82/variation/vcf/homo_sapiens/1000GENOMES-phase_3-genotypes/

You will then need to edit
[module_path]/ensembl-variation/modules/Bio/EnsEMBL/Variation/DBSQL/vcf_config.json,
changing the "filename_template" entry to the path where you downloaded the
files, and "type" from "remote" to "local".

Regarding the warning message, this should not affect your analyses in any
way, but I have put in a fix on release/84 of ensembl-variation to suppress
it.

Regards

Will McLaren
Ensembl Variation