[ensembl-dev] Homopolymeric regions and snp

Will McLaren wm2 at ebi.ac.uk
Thu May 19 15:17:43 BST 2016

Hi Matteo,

We don't have a specific tool or functionality for discovering
homopolymeric regions.

If I were to approach this problem I'd write a short script to look up some
amount of reference sequence either side of the SNP position and check it
for homopolymerism.

In Perl you could use the Ensembl API [1] or use the BioPerl Bio::DB::Fasta
[2] module and a FASTA file of the genome.

You may also consider using our REST API to retrieve the sequence, which
can be scripted against using any language [3].

Hope that helps

Will McLaren
Ensembl Variation

1: http://www.ensembl.org/info/docs/index.html