[ensembl-dev] querry about rest API, single nucleic coordinate for amino acid

Emily Perry emily at ebi.ac.uk
Thu Jun 16 12:35:43 BST 2016

Dear Matiss,

As mentioned in the posting guidelines linked at the bottom of every dev
message and sent to new subscribers to the list, Ensembl provides user
support both via this list and via helpdesk at ensembl.org and we ask users
to please not send the same issue to both dev and helpdesk.

All of the questions eventually come to the same set of people and it is
generally a better use of time to answer the questions only once. I will
delete your ticket on Ensembl helpdesk.

Thanks,
Emily on behalf of the Ensembl Team

On 16/06/2016 11:44, Matiss Ozols wrote:

> Dear Ensembl team,
>
> I have a query about mapping from protein coordinates to genomic
> coordinates:
>
> When I map each amino acid I usually expect to get 3 nucleic acid
> coordinates, however in some cases I get only 2 or 1 coordinates. What
> would be the reason for this?
>
> I use python to do this and my code is following:
>
> ext =
> "http:/grch37.rest.ensembl.org/map/translation/ENSP00000325527/82..82;
>
> this gives me a result: [48905207] – why is it just one nucleic acid
> coordinate instead of 3?
>
> In other case : ext =
> "http:/grch37.rest.ensembl.org/map/translation/ENSP00000325527/54..54;
> Gives me : [48936803| 48936804]
>
> ;
>
> However most of the time it is 3 coordinates as I expect it to be.
>
> Hope you can help,
>
> Best regards,
>
> Matiss Ozols (Beng),
>
> PhD researcher, School of Inflamation & Repair,
>
> University of Manchester

Dr Emily Perry (Pritchard)
Ensembl Outreach Project Leader

European Molecular Biology Laboratory