[ensembl-dev] How does the web VEP HGVS annotator choose RefSeq transcripts?

Will McLaren wm2 at ebi.ac.uk
Thu Jul 28 09:21:02 BST 2016

Hi Luke,

When the VEP uses RefSeq transcripts it is in fact using the reference
genome sequence to generate its predictions. RefSeq transcript models are
mapped to the reference genome and the sequence retrieved from those mapped
coordinates is used. This means that if a RefSeq differs from the genome,
you may see unexpected results WRT to the RefSeq sequence. [1]

Each mapped transcript is analysed independently, though you may have VEP
choose only one to analyse using any of the --pick flags [2].

Hope that helps

Will McLaren
Ensembl Variation

[1] :