[ensembl-dev] different between eGenetics and GNF/Atlas

L Shen lshen86 at gmail.com
Wed Jul 6 15:13:26 BST 2016

Hi:

For work on mitochondrial DNA variants, the "wrong" alleles maybe due to
using different references.

The most widely used is rCRS, inlcuding Ensembl's VEP.

But some sources used YRI (African (Yoruba) Sequence AF347015
<http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/viewer.fcgi?db=nucleotide&val=AF347015>),
including older version of UCSC (HG19) and some affymetrix SNP array
platforms.

If this is the case, one may convert YRI-based variant notations to
rCRS-based before running VEP.

I have a web tool to do the conversion and even annotation calling VEP:

https://mseqdr.org/mv.php

You can try these 2, and "Convert" or "Convert and Annotate" from
reference "YRI" to "ALL FORMATS".

For example, your 2 variants as input:
m.3971C>T
m.4249T>C

Result:
InputHGVS CommitteeHGVS ClinVar/NCBIHGVS EnsemblHGVS
Mutalyzerm.3971C>Tm.3970C>TNC_012920.1:m.3970C>TMT:g.3970C>TNC_012920.1:g.3970C>T
ENST00000361390.2:c.664C>T
ENST00000361390.2:c.664C>T(p.=)m.4249T>Cm.4248T>CNC_012920.1:m.4248T>CMT:g.4248T>CNC_012920.1:g.4248T>C
ENST00000361390.2:c.942T>C  ENST00000361390.2:c.942T>C(p.=)

Lishuang Shen

Sr. Bioinformatics Scientist
Center for Personalized Medicine
Children's Hospital Los Angeles

http://www.mitomap.org/foswiki/bin/view/MITOMAP/MitoSeqs

>> African (Yoruba) Sequence AF347015
<http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/viewer.fcgi?db=nucleotide&val=AF347015>,
formerly NC_001807.4. This L3e sequence is 16571 bp in length and has over
40 variant nucleotides from the rCRS. Some sequencing chips (for example,
Affymetrix Genome-Wide Human SNP Array 6.0; Illumina 550 v.1, 550 v.3, 610
v.1) have used nucleotide numbers based on the Yoruban sequence. To convert
Yoruban-based position numbers to ones relative to the revised Cambridge
sequence, follow the rules in the Yoruba Conversion table
<http://www.mitomap.org/Sandbox/YorubanConversion>.