[ensembl-dev] Issue migrating existing in house mirror

Liu, Mingyi Mingyi.Liu at bms.com
Tue Jan 26 20:12:18 GMT 2016

Hi,

We’re migrating some old Ensembl in house installations (v73 and lower) to a different server. We set up the software environment to be basically the same (same apache version installed for each Ensembl version, same directory structure, same modules copied over/installed, same environmental variables, same Linux user/group. Notable differences include Perl is upped to 5.20 from 5.12, Mod Perl from 2.0.4 to 2.0.9).  I also changed the $SiteDefs::ENSEMBL_SERVERNAME             = 'mynewserver'; in SiteDefs.pm

When I ran the /73/lib/ensembl/ctrl_scripts/start_server –r it started the server up OK, but failed to acknowledge “startup OK” like before. And if I rerun the same command, it does not shut down the running Apache instance like before. Instead it’d just try to start up a new server instance and dies at the end, after all processing done, complaining that it can’t bind to the port.

But the biggest issue is that when I try to access the server in browser, I get a bad looking page complaining internal server error with this in server error log:
[Tue Jan 26 14:41:40 2016] [error] [client …] Can't use string ("HASH(0xa841dc8)") as a HASH ref while "strict refs" in use at /73/lib/ensembl/modules/EnsEMBL/Web/Apache/Handlers.pm line 406, <DATA> line 717.\n, referer: http://mynewserver:myport/index.html

I can’t think of any differences in the two systems to explain the issue, or know enough to debug it efficiently.  Does anyone know where to start?

Thanks much!

Mingyi

This message (including any attachments) may contain confidential, proprietary, privileged and/or private information. The information is intended to be for the use of the individual or entity designated above. If you are not the intended recipient of this message, please notify the sender immediately, and delete the message and any attachments. Any disclosure, reproduction, distribution or other use of this message or any attachments by an individual or entity other than the intended recipient is prohibited.