[ensembl-dev] VEP v82: Different handling when SVTYPE is defined in VCF INFO field

Will McLaren wm2 at ebi.ac.uk
Tue Nov 24 11:04:12 GMT 2015

Hi Cyriac,

The SVTYPE info field flags to the VEP that it should treat the input as a
structural variant.

These are treated as different object types by the VEP. The main effect is
that sequence is not considered as it not normally provided explicitly for
SVs.

If you can, you should only use SVTYPE to annotate "true" structural
variants, i.e. those described as e.g. <DEL> or <TDUP> in the ALT field.
For any that have explicit sequence in the REF and ALT fields, you should
remove the SVTYPE field as this will lead to more precise annotation in the
VEP for these positions.

Regards

Will McLaren
Ensembl Variation