[ensembl-dev] Question about missing regions in whole genome alignments

Marc P. Hoeppner mphoeppner at gmail.com
Wed Nov 4 12:47:15 GMT 2015

Dear EnsEMBL developers,

I've noticed that there could be a problem with certain whole genome
alignments in the current (E82) version of EnsEMBL.

Specifically, for the human region 17:58663933-58739040 (and possibly
others).

This region is syntenic on all primate genomes (8 primates EPO) as well
as 23 amniotes (amniotes Pecan). However, in 17 mammals (EPO), this
region is only identified as syntenic between human and cat - which I
suspect is a mistake. I understand that Pecan and EPO use different
algorithms, but the gene in this region (TEX14) is conserved across all
mammals (and most vertebrates) and has no obvious homologs that may
explain off-target alignments.

Regards,

Marc