[ensembl-dev] protein coordinates of domains and exons

mag mr6 at ebi.ac.uk
Mon May 18 15:01:27 BST 2015

Hi Leila,

For a given transcript, you can access all its exons and its translation
(when available) with related protein features.

This snippet of code shows how you can display protein coordinates for
all exons and protein domains for the related translation, starting from
a given transcript:

my $registry = Bio::EnsEMBL::Registry->load_registry_from_db(
-host => 'ensembldb.ensembl.org',
-user => 'anonymous',
-port => '3306'
);

my $transcript_adaptor = $registry->get_adaptor('human', 'core',
'Transcript');
my $stable_id = 'ENST00000380152';
my $transcript = $transcript_adaptor->fetch_by_stable_id($stable_id);

# Only get exons within the coding region
my $exons = $transcript->get_all_translateable_Exons();
foreach my $exon (@$exons) {
   # Print the genomic coordinates for each exon
   print "Exon " . $exon->stable_id . ":" . $exon->start . "-" .
$exon->end. "\t";
   my @pep_coords = $transcript->genomic2pep($exon->start, $exon->end,
$exon->strand);
   foreach my $pep (@pep_coords) {
     # Print the protein coordinates for each exon
     print $pep->start() . "-" . $pep->end() . "\n";
   }
}

my $translation = $transcript->translation;
# Check if there is a translation
if ($translation) {
   my $pfs = $translation->get_all_ProteinFeatures();
   # Display all protein features
   foreach my $pf (@$pfs) {
     print $pf->hseqname . ":" .  $pf->start . "-" . $pf->end . "\n";
   }
}

If you only have exon coordinates to start with, you will need to create
a slice for each set of coordinates, then retrieve transcripts
overlapping that slice and use the process described above.

my $slice_adaptor = $registry->get_adaptor('human', 'core', 'Slice');
my $slice = $slice_adaptor->fetch_by_region('chromosome', $chromosome,
$exon_start, $exon_end);
my $transcripts = $slice->get_all_Transcripts();

Hope that helps,
Magali