[ensembl-dev] HDMG/dbSNP co-located variants

David Blaney David.Blaney at ogt.com
Wed May 13 14:24:04 BST 2015

Thanks for that Will,

I thought this might have been the case for this variant, but let’s say we have a variant that is co-located with a ‘passed QC’  (same allele)  dbSNP variant and a HGMD variant.

My understanding is that VEP (with –check-existing, --check-alleles) would report the co-located variant but not the HGMD variant because it cannot check the HGMD allele. Is it possible to overwrite the check allele for HGMD (or sources that have no allele information) and hence report both the matched allele dbSNP and HGMD entry? I understand that –check-alleles is only doing its job.

Here is an example, VEP (--check-existing & --check-alleles):

http://grch37.ensembl.org/Homo_sapiens/Tools/VEP/Ticket?tl=m7LvOEu93tqyLdsQ

VEP (--check-existing only):

http://grch37.ensembl.org/Homo_sapiens/Tools/VEP/Ticket?tl=m7LvOEu93tqyLdsQ

Regards,