[ensembl-dev] VEP ClinVar information

Will McLaren wm2 at ebi.ac.uk
Mon Mar 2 15:05:02 GMT 2015

If you enable the --check_existing flag when you run the VEP, you'll be
able to see any known co-located variants attached to the VariationFeature
object in your plugin:

sub run {
  my $self = shift;
  my $tva = shift;
  my $vf = $tva->variation_feature;

  foreach my $known_var(@{$vf->{existing} || []}) {
     # do stuff
  }
}

The $known_var is not an API object but a simple hashref with a number of
fields; you're probably interested in $known_var->{clin_sig}

However, as I mentioned, this is the only data that is stored in the cache.
To access the rating and the specific disease association, you'll need to
make calls to the database by getting an adaptor, something like:

sub run {
  my $self = shift;
  my $tva = shift;
  my $vf = $tva->variation_feature;
  my $pfa =
$self->{config}->{reg}->get_adaptor('human','variation','phenotypefeature');

  foreach my $known_var(@{$vf->{existing} || []}) {
     foreach my
$pf(@{$pfa->fetch_all_by_object_id($known_var->{variation_name})}) {
       # do stuff
     }
  }
}

Be aware that this will access the database, so unless you have a local
copy please don't run this sort of code on genome-wide VCFs using our
public DB server.

Regards

Will