[ensembl-dev] Installing ensembl site

Steve Trevanion steve at ebi.ac.uk
Mon Jun 29 12:26:18 BST 2015

Hi Duarte,

Sorry to hear you are having problems. We are aware that the
documentation is out of date and needs reviewing and it is high on our
list of priorities. Having your feedback about the issues you're facing
will be useful when we come to do that.

See below for a couple of comments,

Regards,

Steve

On 29/06/15 10:56, Duarte Molha wrote:
> Dear Ensembl Devs
>
> Your manual to how to install a local version of your ensembl site are
> woefully incomplete and out ot date.
>
> Is there any willingness of fixing these instructions?
>
> A few of my remarks:
>
> http://www.ensembl.org/info/docs/webcode/mirror/install/non-ensembl-code.html
>
> The description on how to build configure and install and configure
> Apache server and mod_perl are incomplete and even my attempts at
> following the steps on my debian server simply fail due to missing
> dependencies.
>
> Given most people will be running servers on debian and ubuntu and
> similar servers it would be very welcome a more targeted approach to
> the usual default configuration of systems after after a simple
>
> sudo apt-get install git
> sudo apt-get install apache2
> sudo apt-get install libapache2-mod-perl2
>
> ?
>
> This is the way I have opted to install git,  apache and mod_perl and
> I think because if it, I still have not been able to setup the site
> properly because your setup assumes wrong folder locations for many of
> the apache2  configuration files installed in this manner.

Does setting the $APACHE_DIR help ?

> http://www.ensembl.org/info/docs/webcode/mirror/install/ensembl-code.html
>
> git ensembl --clone api
> git ensembl --clone web
> The instructions above are incorrect
>
> I think they should be :
>
> git-ensembl --clone api
> git-ensembl --clone web
> correct me if I am wrong, please.
The instructions are correct - have you checked out ensembl-git-tool ?