[ensembl-dev] get conservation of a region based on multi-species genomic alignment

Julien Roux julien.roux at unil.ch
Wed Jun 3 14:52:19 BST 2015

Dear list,
I am trying to retrieve, for a given human genomic region, the
nucleotidic sequence conservation based on the EPO 8-ways genomic
alignments.
I successfully managed to extract the genomic alignment of a specific
human region (see attached script) using help from the tutorial
(www.ensembl.org/info/docs/api/compara/compara_tutorial.html), and with
the MethodLinkSpeciesSetAdaptor parameters detailed here:
http://www.ensembl.org/info/genome/compara/analyses.html
Thanks for that!

Now, I would like a conservation score for this region. A sensible score
could for example be the % of the human nucleotides in this region
showing a perfect conservation in the 8 species. Or it could be the
average across all nucleotides in this region of the number of species
showing the same nucleotide than human. Do you have suggestions, based
on your experience on which measure to consider?

And before implementing this manually, I would like to be sure that
something similar is not already implemented or easy to extract from the
API? For example I've seen a score() function for
Bio::EnsEMBL::Compara::GenomicAlignBlock objects. What does it
correspond to?
http://www.ensembl.org/info/docs/Doxygen/compara-api/classBio_1_1EnsEMBL_1_1Compara_1_1GenomicAlignBlock.html#aa1480f9cf9068f9102f67e8b586f1cce
I also found this, but I have no idea if it can be used for genomic
alignments:
http://www.ensembl.org/info/docs/Doxygen/compara-api/classBio_1_1EnsEMBL_1_1Compara_1_1ConservationScore.html

Thanks for any tip!
Best