[ensembl-dev] VEP - Multiple Effects

Cyriac Kandoth kandoth at cbio.mskcc.org
Tue Feb 10 00:07:39 GMT 2015

Hi Hans.

You'll note that splice_region_variant differs from splice acceptor/donor
variants. A splice_region_variant is anything 3-8 bps into the intron or
UTR, while the acceptor/donor annotations are given to variants within 2bp
flanks of splice junctions.

Here is a larger list of VEP consequences with descriptions, and sorted in
the order of how VEP prioritizes them:
http://useast.ensembl.org/info/genome/variation/predicted_data.html#consequences

So in your example, the splice_region_variant and 5_prime_UTR_variant are
both valid annotations, but the first one has higher priority than the
second. In general, you can choose the first one between multiple
annotations since they seem to be ordered by priority. But I'll let one of
the Ensembl folks confirm.

~Cyriac