[ensembl-dev] How to retrieve "Age of Base" using a Perl API?

Tang, Haiming ningzhithm at gmail.com
Thu Sep 25 17:39:04 BST 2014

Dear group, My name is Haiming Tang. I'm in Dr Paul Thomas's group in University of Southern California.

I'm trying to retrieve "Age of Base" using Perl API.

As described in "http://www.ensembl.org/info/genome/compara/analyses.html#age_of_base"

"Age of Base

From these ancestral sequences, we infer the age of a base, i.e. the timing of the most recent mutation for each base of the genome. Each position of the human genome is compared to its immediate inferred ancestor, then its ancestor, etc. until a difference is found. The inferred substitution event therefore occurred on a specific branch of the tree, which is identified by all the extant species which eventually descended from that branch, as illustrated below."

"Age of base" has close relation with EPO ancestral alignment. But I could find any related method in Compara Perl API Documentation or Compara API Tutorial.

Can anyone show me how to do to retrieve "age of base"?

Thank you in advance.

Haiming