[ensembl-dev] beekeeper fails in EPO_pt1 update_genome_db_locator

Lel Eory lel.eory at roslin.ed.ac.uk
Wed Sep 10 14:47:25 BST 2014

Dear Compara-team,

Can you please help me with the following:
I try to test-run a the EPO pipeline for the 3 high-coverage Ensembl
birds, but beekeeper fails.
I have changed the config file
Bio::EnsEMBL::Compara::PipeConfig::EPO_pt1_conf and init_pipeline runs
OK. Also beekeeper runs fine on the first few steps, but then it fails
in the "update_genome_db_locator" step.

The error message I got is the following:
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Worker 18 [ update_genome_db_locator(7) ] Job 14 : died in status
'FETCH_INPUT' for the following reason: Can't use string
("HASH(0xbda308)") as a HASH ref while "strict refs" in use at
/groups2/avian_genomes/software/src/ensembl/ensgit/ensembl-compara/modules/Bio/EnsEMBL/Compara/Production/EPOanchors/UpdateGenomeDBLocator.pm
line 75.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The offending line refers to the 'additional_core_db_urls'  section from
my EPO_pt1_conf copied below.
I have set up the config file to pick the species from
ensembldb.ensembl.org specifying this with the 'main_core_dbs'. Do I
need to set-up a section for each of the species I want to run the EPO
pipeline for, or are the connections picked-up by the code? I have also
specified the 'additional_core_db_urls' with my local install of the
ensembl birds, just in case, but the error still occurs...

The relevant lines from my EPO_pt1_conf are:
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
106         'main_core_dbs' => [
107           {
108             -user => 'anonymous',
109             -port => 5306,
110             -host => 'ensembldb.ensembl.org',
111             -driver => 'mysql',
112             -pass => '',
113             -dbname => '',
114             -db_version => $self->o('core_db_version'),
115           },
116         ],
117         # any additional core dbs
118         'additional_core_db_urls' => {
119                 'gallus_gallus' =>
'mysql://USER:PASS@HOST:3306/gallus_gallus_core_75',
120                 'taeniopygia_guttata' =>
'mysql://USER:PASS@HOST:3306/taeniopygia_guttata_core_75',
121                 'meleagris_gallopavo' =>
'mysql://USER:PASS@HOST:3306/meleagris_gallopavo_core_75',
122         },

What modifications do I need to do to avoid the error?

Thank you.

Best wishes,
Lel

Scotland, with registration number SC005336.