[ensembl-dev] GeneGainLossTree

Miguel Pignatelli mp at ebi.ac.uk
Tue May 27 10:34:02 BST 2014

Hi Ed,

The Gene gain/loss trees represent the phylogenetic history of the gene
families in Ensembl under the species tree point of view. For each gene
family we provide a species tree showing the number of genes in the
extant species, an estimation of the number of genes in the ancestral
states and the significant gene gains and losses events in the evolution
of the gene family. These estimations are done using the CAFE software [1].
The relevant objects in our API are CAFEGeneFamily and CAFEGeneFamilyNode.

In rel75 we had a problem with the estimated number of members in the
ancestral states not going through. This is fixed for rel76. If you want
this data for 75 let me know.

Hope this helps,

M;

[1] http://bioinformatics.oxfordjournals.org/content/22/10/1269.full