[ensembl-dev] Transcript statistics from ensembl API

Andy Yates ayates at ebi.ac.uk
Thu May 8 17:01:57 BST 2014

Hi Brett,

I believe the website requests the cDNA & peptide sequence and does a length on them both. So you can request the sequence from our /sequence/id endpoint [1].

As for exons you can use the /lookup/id [2] endpoint & the expand=1 parameter to expand the transcript to include all of its exons. However this summary does not contain any information about coding boundaries. I don't believe it is possible to differentiate this easily using the REST API at the moment.

Alternatively the Perl API can do this from a transcript quite easily:

my $exon_count = scalar(@{$transcript->get_Exons()});
my $coding_exon_count = scalar(@{$transcript->get_all_translateable_Exons()});

Hope this helps,

Andy

[1] - http://beta.rest.ensembl.org/documentation/info/sequence_id
[2] - http://beta.rest.ensembl.org/documentation/info/lookup and for BRAF's 1st transcript http://beta.rest.ensembl.org/lookup/id/ENST00000288602.json?expand=1

Andrew Yates - Ensembl Support Coordinator
European Molecular Biology Laboratory
Wellcome Trust Genome Campus
Hinxton
Cambridge CB10 1SD