[ensembl-dev] How to handle missing DAS for Ensembl species

Dan Sheppard dan at ebi.ac.uk
Wed Mar 5 19:22:18 GMT 2014

Hi Ben,

Sorry again for the delay getting back to you. I've fixed that on our
master branch which will make it into the next release (e76). If you
want to git cherry-pick it in the meantime, it's got hash 7c590d32...

You will need to regenerate the packeds after applying the fix.

In the process, I discovered a number of races in our startup code for
generating packeds (which I've not had time to fix yet).

In particular I found, as you may well do, that I needed to delete the
species and MULTI packeds, as well as config.packed, and restart -r ;
then delete config.packed (alone) again, and restart -r again. Once they
are correct there is no further racing during restarts.

As you were interested in various solutions: in the end, I went for the
merge to be a no-op if the rhs tree is undef.

I don't think it would ever be intuitive, -- as we had, -- to have an
API to a merging function where the additional data being undef would
clear existing data, and can't believe that was deliberate (and
certainly was never deliberately called with such intent).

So getting merge in this case to be a no-op instead, as well as fixing
the bug, only extends rather than modifies the defined semantics for the
function.

Do let us know if this doesn't work for you, or you have any further
suggestions.

Dan.